The idea to establish the Museum of the University History first appeared in 1974, but the museum was opened only in 1984 when the 40th anniversary of the liberation of Zakarpattia was celebrated. The inappropriate care of the museum funds and resources resulted in the suspension of its functioning in the mid-1990s.
Since almost all of the previous museum exhibits had disappeared, the SHEE "Uzhhorod National University" Rector Fedir Vaschuk initiated the preparations for the renewal of the whole museum . In accordance with the Rector's order, the Museum of University History was established on 7 February 2013. Ihor Zombor was appointed the Director of the museum. Nowadays the accumulation of the text, photos and illustrative material from the University major structural units is being completed. The main aim of the museum will be to display higher education acquisitions in Zakarpattia beginning from Jesuist Collegium (1613-1615) to the present achievements of SHEE "Uzhhorod National University."
The exposition hall of the Museum will display the history of the formation, development and modern achievements of Uzhhorod National University as the leading higher educational establishment and recognized scientific centre. Translated by V.M.Babydorych
Edited by G.P.Zavalska